Whenever I hear the word ‘cleanse’ or ‘detox,’ my first thought is fear.
What do I have to give up? For how long?! WHAT?!
I eat pretty well, but I am a snacker. I like Juanita’s tortilla chips and salsa – a lot. And I mean a lot. Margarita’s to go along with chips and salsa is the perfect combo…my issue is I cannot stop the salt train….
So, a couple of times a year I do a body reset with my diet. It could be a Whole30, it could be a 21 Day Sugar Detox. Those are my go-tos. Even though I’ve done these a few times over the years, the fear never leaves.
Recently I went to visit my dad in the Midwest and I’m on day 4.5 with the 21DSD. Sitting on the plane, with a bag of my own food at my feet because if I don’t have it – I will choose the least possible evil and I don’t want to put myself in that position. Preparation is key.
I’ve put together a snack list to help with the reset. These are great snacks anytime, but my go-tos for the body resets I do.
Remember – there are no GREAT times to do these resets. None. There is always something that will come up and test your will. Just know that you CAN do it as long as you’re prepared.
Let me know what your favorite snacks are – and I’ll add them to the list!
- Individually packed almonds from Trader Joe’s (nut section)
- Green tipped banana – the whole thing doesn’t have to be green, look for the green tips on both ends
- Good Eat’s individual size guacamole packs from Costco
- Salsa – Trader Joe’s yellow capped stuff is my favorite
- Carrots and/or celery to dip in the guacamole or salsa
- Bacon – I always have bacon MADE and in the fridge. Satisfies cravings instantly and you only need half a piece or so (unless you’re hungry)
- Hard boiled eggs – a great trick? Take out the yolk and put in the guac. Holy that’s good!
- Bone marrow broth
- Herbal tea
- Olives – LOVE olives
- Perrier or other bubbly water. La Croix is excellent.
- Beef jerky (there are several brands you can get online that do not have ADDED sugar)
- Green apple & almond butter
- Sunbutter – great in smoothies, great with celery
I have variations of these foods at the gym, in my car, always with me with an ice pack if I’m hanging out anywhere for more than a few hours. By choosing my own food and making sure I have the goodies with me, I am setting myself up for success and very little temptation!
I’m now on Day 13 of the 21DSD. I feel AMAZING!!! I’m sleeping through the night, waking up with more energy, physical performance is better… I even ran up a mountain with a weight vest on yesterday. See the smile?!