This is a great recipe I adapted from PaleOMG’s broccoli fritters. I call them ‘cakes’ because they remind me more of the salmon cakes I make – consistency is similar.
Check out the original here, my version below. Next time, I will make these for breakfast and crack an egg on top – delish! Enjoy!
- 2 cups broccolini stalks, shredded OR broccoli florets, shredded or pulsed in a food processor
- 3 egg whites, whisked
- 1¾ cup almond meal
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place shredded broccoli in a large bowl.
- Whisk all spices in with eggs, add to broccoli, mix well. Then add in almond flour. Mix well.
- Heat up a large skillet over medium-high heat with a bit of fat in it. I used bacon fat.
- Use a large spoon and your hands to ball up a fritter and add to a skillet. It doesn’t need to be flat, you’ll flatten it out after you flip it.
- Place balls of broccoli in hot pan, flatten with spatula. Cook the cake for about 3-4 minutes. Flip, flatten a bit more, cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- You’ll see a nice brown crisp on each side when done. Serve nice and hot with any kind of meat. Tonight we had these with yam fries and lamb. YUM.