OOO, this is a good one! Thank you Juli from PaleOMG. Here’s her original recipe, but I modified as I didn’t have everything and I wanted my own twist on it. We actually put ours over brown organic basmati rice, but I would suggest putting it over any kind of squash, zucchini hunks, eating it like soup, whatever. It was really good!
- 1lb chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced (I used my mandolin slicer)
- ½ white onion, thinly sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of ½” sliced celery, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 cup of ¼” sliced carrots, , sliced on the diagonal
- ¾-1 can coconut milk (start with less, you can always add more! I like mine a bit more ‘soupy’)
- 1/3 can pureed pumpkin
- ½ – ¾ cup cashews
- 3-4 tablespoon curry paste (can use powder) start out low, then add your heat
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cilantro and green onions, to garnish
- Pull out a large skillet and place under medium heat. Then add your coconut oil.
- Add minced garlic then chicken as soon as the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Once the chicken begins to become white on all sides, add your coconut milk and pureed pumpkin to your chicken, carrots and celery; mix until the pumpkin breaks down.
- Now add your onions, pepper, shrooms and spices to cook down.
- When chicken is done cooking and your curry has thickened a bit, remove from heat and add your cashews to the curry mixture.
- Now place over your rice, squash, zucc or nothing, top with your green onions and cilantro and go to town!