- 1-1.5 lbs cooked meat (I’ve made this twice-first time...
For some reason, I was craving sloppy joes last week. This was a meal we had often as children, with the big hamburger buns, ground beef, a can of mix. The sodium we ate as children never ceases to amaze me.
Anyhoo, I found a great recipe in Make Ahead Paleo, by Tammy Credicott. I LOVE this book. If you don’t have it yet, get it. I modified it a bit based on what ingredients I had, but it was minimal modifying.
Try this over easy slaw, on a paleo bun, or, with your eggs in the morning. SO GOOD. Enjoy!
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (I use avocado oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp granulated onion
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1-2 tbsp tomato paste
- In a large, deep pan, heat the oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, pepper and carrots, saute for 3-ish minutes.
- Add the beef, mix well.
- Add through the dry mustard, mix well.
- When meat is almost browned, turn heat to low and add the vinegar and tomato sauce and paste.
- Heat through, about 6-8 minutes.
PS – this is a GREAT freezer meal. Make double – then, let part cool, place in freezer safe dish and viola – you have yourself another meal.