I was on a crazy cooking frenzy yesterday, LiveFitters! I made or planned meals for the week. What made this WAY easier was picking meals to use with the old CrockPot. I picked two meals for the crock pot: Ropa Vieja and Short Ribs in a fennel tomato sauce. Here’s Ropa Vieja.
I’m telling you – this was good. Veggies cooked perfectly, meat delicious…wow, I will make this again and again. And, it’s that much easier with the CrockPot. Have it over shredded cabbage and ENJOY!
- 3 lbs chuck roast
- 2 yellow, sliced
- 2 tbsp ghee or butter
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 bell peppers, yellow, red, orange, sliced (a mix or not, your call)
- 2-3 cans diced tomatoes (Costco has organic and they are delicious)
- 3 tbsp tomato paste (same as above)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1.5 tbsp cumin
- 1.5 tbsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 c beef broth
Garnish: fresh cilantro, Mexican Crema (optional)
- Melt the butter/ghee in a skillet, get it hot, and brown the roast on all sides. Take out and set aside.
- Saute the onions and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Place the onions, garlic and peppers in the bottom of the CrockPot, place the roast on top of the veggies.
- Mix the diced tomatoes through the beef broth in a bowl, pour over the beef.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours, or, cook on high for 3, low for 2 and you’re good to go.
- If too much liquid, just use a slotted spoon to dish veggies onto shredded cabbage, top with chopped cilantro. ENJOY!