What a great meal! Quick and easy, perfect for serving you family with leftovers or even large crowds! This makes great leftovers for breakfast (crack an egg on it!), lunch (with a side salad!) or dinner (even more salad or nothing!).
Make a double batch – you’ll thank me later.
- 1-½ pounds cooked chicken, chopped bite size (or, make it even easier – get a rotisserie chicken and strip it down)
- 1 28oz can of enchilada sauce (Love El Pato brand)
- 1 small can of chopped chilies
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- Half a yellow or white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 acorn squash, cooked
- ½-3/4 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1-2 large sweet potatoes, sliced medallion-style
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chopped green onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Grab a baking dish. Grease it up with oil of choice (coconut oil or butter works well), set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350.
Prepare sauces: Sauce #1
- Heat 1 tbsp of your cooking oil of choice in a skillet/pan over medium heat
- Sautee onions and garlic in the heated skillet until fragrant
- Add red bell pepper, cook until al dente
- Add tomatoes, enchilada sauce and chilies (want additional kick? Add your choice of ancho chile powder, red pepper flakes, etc. Totally optional)
- Heat through
- Sauce #2
While sauce #1 is heating through, start your sauce #2.
- Grab cooked acorn squash, place in vitamix, heavy duty blender or food processor
- Add coconut milk and spices
- Mix well
- Layer your sweet taters on the bottom of your dish. Yes, overlap those babies
- Lay down your chicken next
- Add your acorn squash sauce
- Top it off with enchilada sauce
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Poke a fork in and make sure the sweet taters are cooked. Viola!