Hello and happy Monday! It’s officially Fall and I’m bringing back this great recipe from Paleo Comfort Foods by Julie and Charles Mayfield. I have made these several times and some options are to use a mix of apples, add some bacon, and I always leave my version sugar free – the carrots and the apples are sweet enough for me.
•2.5 cups of almond flour
•1 tblsp cinnamon
•1/2 tblsp pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg
•2 tsp baking soda
•.5 tsp salt
•2 cups grated/shredded carrots [I food processed. much easier] •1 large Gala apple, cored and grated
•1 cup shredded coconut
•1 cup raisins (try dates or currants for a twist)
•3 large eggs
•1/2 c coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350, grease a standard sized muffin tin.
2. Combine almond flour to salt in a bowl, mix well. Add carrot through raisins, mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients, mix well.
4. Pour wet over dry and mix. Batter will be very thick. At this point, set the bowl aside and work on something else for at least 30 minutes…this step is imperative for moister muffins.
5. Spoon into greased muffin tins – mini or normal muffin tins. For mini muffins, cook 20-30 minutes, for regular muffin tins, cook 40-50 minutes. Do a toothpick check at 20 or 35 respectively.
6. Cool down, take out of tin and eat!