Well, summer was here for a couple of weeks and when that happens, I BBQ my bum off! When I BBQ, I like salads. Here is a great alternative to traditional potato salad. Roasting the yams gives this salad a great texture and flavor. Enjoy!
- 4 yams (or sweet taters), peeled, cubed and roasted
- I roasted mine in a single layer on a cookie sheet at 400 for 25 minutes. You want them soft but not mushy! Do not toss in any oil prior, just plain ‘ol roast them.
- 6 ribs celery, diced
- Next time, instead of celery, I’m going to whip in frozen peas.
- 4 pieces of cooked bacon, diced
- 4 hardboiled eggs, chopped
- 5 medium dill pickles, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced small
- 1/4 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
Ingredients: Salad Sauce
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup mayonnaise (good recipe here)
- 1/8 cup pickle juice, whisked together with the mayo
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
Note: If you want your sauce creamier, or increased in volume, just up the mayo content. I like the pickle juice here – adds a great zing. If too liquid, add less of the juice.
- Mix all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix all sauce ingredients together.
- Place in fridge at least 2 hours or until cool.