Hey LiveFitters! Here’s a great way to get additional veggies into your diet. Thank you once again, Juli Bauer of paleomg.com for this awesome inspiration!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2 pounds), cut in half lengthwise -Make ahead! Cook the squash on another night and let cool. Place in your CrockPot for 2 hours-ish (or until a fork goes in easily). Let cool completely, then scoop out the seeds and ‘fork’ out the ‘noodles.’ You can also use your InstaPot for about 10 minutes.
- ¾ pound Italian ground pork -Make ahead! Brown the ground meat a few days before. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and place in an air tight container. Sharpee “for quiche.”
- 10 eggs, whisked – Mix these the day of.
- ¾ tablespoon dried parsley
- ¾ tablespoon dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste -Make ahead – mix all spices and place in small baggie until ready.
- One to 1½ cups of sliced mushrooms (I used crimini mushrooms)
- One cup of diced/sliced/half mooned zucchini -Make ahead! Cut everything and place in baggies with note for quiche.
- coconut oil, to grease pie plate
How To: See “make ahead” details above
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet. Bake squash for 20-25 minutes or until you can press on the outside of the squash and it gives a bit.
- Once spaghetti squash is done cooking, remove from oven, scoop out the seeds and excess strings and let cool while you finish the rest of the quiche. Once spaghetti squash is cooled, use a fork to remove the threads.
- Turn oven down to 350 degrees.
- Place pork in a medium pan over medium heat. Break up and cook until there is no pink left. Remove from heat and drain any excess fat, if needed.
- Whisk together eggs, parsley, basil, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Pull out a pie plate and grease thoroughly with coconut oil. Add all the spaghetti squash threads to the pie plate and press down into the plate and up onto the sides. Try to make it even throughout.
- Pour the eggs into the plate, then add the crumbled sausage, on top with sliced mushrooms and zucchini. Sprinkle with a bit more salt on top.
- Place in oven to bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees or until eggs are cooked through in the middle.
- Let rest before cutting into it.