The biggest eating day of the year. Thanksgiving!
We go see our family, eat, go see our partner’s family, eat more. We end up with a food hangover and just want to pass out!
With just a little awareness, we can enjoy the day, eat well and not feel like we’re about to explode. Check out these tips and tricks for Turkey Day.
Alcohol & Appetizers
- In between each alcoholic beverage, drink a large glass of water.
- Put flavored sparkling water in a fancy glass and drink that vs. booze.
- Cut any mixers w/club soda.
- Use club soda vs. tonic water.
- Use fresh limes and lemons, enhances any bevie.
- Stick to veggies and guacamole/hummus as appetizers.
- In between each plate of appetizers, have a glass of water.
Dinner & Dessert
- Want to sample everything? Go for it! If there are a lot of dishes, take small portions of each.
- Don’t overload your plate. Take 1/4 of what you think you will eat.
- Focus on the conversation around the table, not the food. Ask the person next to you how their year went, what their goals are, and what their accomplishments are for 2015.
- Put your fork down in between each bite.
- Chew like there’s no tomorrow. Taste your food, try not to inhale.
- Take at least 20 minutes to finish your plate. Why? Your body doesn’t register satiety for 20 minutes.
- Dessert – wait another 20-30 minutes before you tackle dessert.
With just a little more thought and intention, you can enjoy your family time and the wonderful food…and you won’t have to break out the expando pants.